New York Mets forgery defendant gets four years prison

A New Jersey man who pleaded guilty to forging signatures of New York Mets baseball officials, including Chief Operating Officer Jeffrey Wilpon, in an office leasing equipment scam was sentenced on Wednesday to four years in prison. Michael Conway, 41, of Verona, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge William Kuntz in Brooklyn, New York, 11 months after pleading guilty to wire fraud for a scheme that according to prosecutors ran from March 2014 to August 2015. The prison term is within the 41- to 51-month range that prosecutors sought, and in line with recommended federal guidelines.
Read more from source:“Yahoo”

Slugger Ramirez set for Japan baseball comeback at 44

Former Major League Baseball slugger Manny Ramirez has joined Japanese independent league team the Kochi Fighting Dogs in Japan, January 10, 2017Former Major League Baseball slugger Manny Ramirez has joined Japanese independent league team the Kochi Fighting Dogs, the club said on its website. The 44-year-old, who has also played in Taiwan after retiring from the major leagues in 2011 as one of only 25 players to pass 500 home runs, is set to play in the four-team Shikoku Island League on the smallest of Japan's four main islands.

Read more from source:“Yahoo”

Veteran Davis return to A’s from Indians

MLB: World Series-Chicago Cubs at Cleveland Indians(Reuters) – Free agent outfielder Rajai Davis returned to the Oakland Athletics on a one-year contract after he helped the Cleveland Indians to the World Series last year. Davis signed a one-year, $6 million contract to join the Athletics according to local media reports. The 36-year-old's return to the A's came after the Indians declined the $17.2 million qualifying offer needed to retain him, which would have also cost the American League champions a draft pick.

Read more from source:“Yahoo”

Baseball-Veteran Davis return to A’s from Indians

Free agent outfielder Rajai Davis returned to the Oakland Athletics on a one-year contract after he helped the Cleveland Indians to the World Series last year. Davis signed a one-year, $6 million contract to join the Athletics according to local media reports. The 36-year-old’s return to the A’s came after the Indians declined the $17.2 million qualifying offer needed to retain him, which would have also cost the American League champions a draft pick.
Read more from source:“Yahoo”

Right-hander Nova inks three-year deal with Pirates

MLB: Chicago Cubs at Pittsburgh Pirates(Reuters) – The Pittsburgh Pirates have bolstered their 2017 prospects by signing starting pitcher Ivan Nova to a new three-year deal, the Major League Baseball team announced on Tuesday. Free agent Nova ended the 2016 season in stellar fashion after being acquired from the New York Yankees in August. In 11 starts with Pittsburgh, the right-hander from the Dominican Republic went 5-2 with a 3.06 ERA.

Read more from source:“Yahoo”

Baseball-Right-hander Nova inks three-year deal with Pirates

The Pittsburgh Pirates have bolstered their 2017 prospects by signing starting pitcher Ivan Nova to a new three-year deal, the Major League Baseball team announced on Tuesday. Free agent Nova ended the 2016 season in stellar fashion after being acquired from the New York Yankees in August. In 11 starts with Pittsburgh, the right-hander from the Dominican Republic went 5-2 with a 3.06 ERA.
Read more from source:“Yahoo”

Ex-Yankees great Stottlemyre ‘doing better’ son says

Baseball - Ex-Yankees great Stottlemyre 'doing better' son saysFormer New York Yankees pitcher Mel Stottlemyre's health was improving Sunday after his son said Friday that the 75-year-old was fighting for his life in hospital. Stottlemyre was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a form of bone marrow cancer, in 2000. "Please know that the greatest warrior I have ever known is doing a lot better," Stottlemyre's son Todd wrote on his Facebook page.

Read more from source:“Yahoo”

Red Sox and Yankees could take rivalry to London

Yankees president Randy Levine confirmed to MLB.com that there have been discussions on possible 2018 games between the Yankees and the Red Sox in LondonFans in London could get a taste of one of Major League Baseball's fiercest rivalries if suggestions of a Boston Red Sox-New York Yankees series in London pan out, US media reported Friday. The Boston Herald first reported the possibility, and Yankees president Randy Levine confirmed to MLB.com that there have been discussions on possible 2018 games between the teams in London. "The Yankees have been at the forefront of suggesting that we bring the great game of baseball to London," Levine told MLB.com.

Read more from source:“Yahoo”

Red Sox and Yankees could be heading for London series

Major League Baseball (MLB) is studying the feasibility of playing in London in 2018, two media organizations reported on Friday. The Boston Herald and MLB.com say the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees are the leading candidates to contest at least two regular-season games in the English capital, with the London Stadium the most likely venue. “The Yankees have been at the forefront of suggesting that we bring the great game of baseball to London,” club president Randy Levine told the Herald and MLB.com.
Read more from source:“Yahoo”

Baseball-Red Sox and Yankees could be heading for London series

Major League Baseball (MLB) is studying the feasibility of playing in London in 2018, two media organisations reported on Friday. The Boston Herald and MLB.com say the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees are the leading candidates to contest at least two regular-season games in the English capital, with the London Stadium the most likely venue. “The Yankees have been at the forefront of suggesting that we bring the great game of baseball to London,” club president Randy Levine told the Herald and MLB.com.
Read more from source:“Yahoo”